Cub and Boy Scout Workshops
Tracy Aviary offers exciting workshops for both Cub and Boy Scouts.
Boy Scout Bird Study Workshop
Join us for a half-day full of rewarding adventure and the beginning of endless fun! Become a skilled birder alongside our expert staff by learning to identify birds not only by sight but also by sound. You will explore the Aviary and nearby Liberty Park to meet birds both native and exotic, while discovering tricks and tools of the trade for observing birds up close.
Our certified Boy Scout instructors will guide Scouts toward meeting all requirements for the Bird Study Merit Badge, developing life skills along the way. To name a few: proper use of binoculars, choosing and using field guides, recognizing bird “field marks,” and above all learning to be thoughtful stewards of our wild places.
- Saturday, May 19, 2018; 8:30am-12:30pm
$20 per Scout
Open-enrollment workshops are offered twice yearly; private workshops available dependent upon staff availability.
Cub Scout Fur, Feathers, and Ferns Workshop
Join us for a half-day full of new discoveries! Learn the value of wild things and wild places while exploring Tracy Aviary and the surrounding Liberty Park. Further your skills in observation and identification to explore a world you might not have noticed before!
Our instructors will guide Scouts toward meeting all requirements for the Fur, Feathers, and Ferns Adventure. Some activities include planting a vegetable garden, observing plant life up close, and going for a 1-mile hike around Liberty Park.
- Saturday, March 24, 2018; 9:00am-12:30pm
$20 per Scout
Attending a Workshop:
- All Scouts must be signed into and out of the workshop by an authorized adult. Please do not drop off Scouts without signing them in with Tracy Aviary workshop facilitators.
- Scouts should bring a water bottle and wear their uniform with shoes appropriate for the outdoors.
- Scouts may bring personal binoculars, but binoculars and field guides are provided for use in the Boy Scout Bird Study workshop.
- A light snack is provided, but Scouts may bring personal snacks.
If you are bringing a group of 5 or more Scouts, we allow one adult to attend per 5 Scouts. We respectfully ask that siblings and other children not registered for the workshop not attend. Adults are welcome to attend with their scout but must pay standard admission if they are attending with less than 5 scouts.
Each Scout must provide the following completed Safety and Waiver Forms upon check-in.